Admission Regulations

Regulations on Common Admission

St. Paul’s runs both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Each programme is conducted under its own basic rules but the following are some of the common academic and exam regulations that each student should familiarize themselves with as they continue their studies. Please refer to it for guidance and if what you are looking for is not in it then ask the relevant office.
  • Certificate Programmes
  • The minimum grade for admission into any Certificate Programme at St. Paul's University is KCSE grade D+ (plus) or its equivalents.
  • Diploma Programmes
  • The minimum grade for admission into any Certificate Programme at St. Paul's University is KCSE grade C- (plus) or its equivalents.
  • Undergraduate Programmes
  • K.C.S.E mean grade C+ and above or its equivalent
  • A level with at least two principal passes and one subsidiary;
  • Masters' Programmes
  • A Bachelor's degree with at least an upper Second class honors; or
  • A Bachelor's degree with a lower Second Class Honors and two years work experience in a related field, or
  • A Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on 4.0 scale (B+) or the equivalent, from an accredited University.
  • PhD Programmes
  • A candidate must be a holder of a relevant Master’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized university.

Candidates from outside Kenya must fulfil the above criterion in their national University system or its equivalent. In addition, they must provide evidence of English language proficiency.

  • Rwandese Applicants
  • A level certificate with at least 2 principal passes
  • 5 credits at o level
  • Ugandan applicants
  • The Uganda Certificate of Education (O' level) with 5 credits or an equivalent qualification
  • Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education Examination (A' Level) with at least two principal passes or an equivalent qualification.
  • Tanzanian applicants
  • Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (ACSEE) with at least two principal passes or its equivalent
  • Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (CSEE) or its equivalent with passes in five credits
  • Diploma in the related area
Credit transfers should be applied for latest two weeks after registration into the program of study i.e. in the first year; first semester. All Credit transfers should be paid for in the first year; first semester.
The University accepts credit transfers from public universities and private chartered Universities. Unless other agreements are made, the following are some of the terms of credit transfer:
  • Transfer of credit should be applied for in writing to the HOD detailing the courses for which credit transfer is sought during the first week of the semester after joining the university.
  • Transfer of credits will be within the same level of study, that is, only Degree level credits can be transferred to a degree level and in some cases Diploma level credits as determined by Senate. Those holding Diplomas from colleges, should have passed with a grade C and above in their form four exams if they have to be considered for credit transfer.
  • Not all Diploma colleges are recognized by the Senate of St. Paul’s University.
  • Only those subjects that carry a grade of B and above are transferable from Diploma colleges and a grade of C and above from a recognized University.
  • Only up to a maximum of 57 credit hours or 19 units of 3 credit hours, or up to 43% of the total hours required for graduation in the department may be accepted for credit transfers.
  • Holders of CPA (K) can get up to 22 credit units transferred.
  • Transfer of credit will be paid for at Kshs.3,000 per unit apart from those with St. Paul’s Diplomas who will pay 25% of each unit cost. Fees for transfer of credits should be paid for as soon as the letter of credit transfer is received.
  • Transfer of credits is done once when a student is admitted and has started the course not before starting the course.
  • With Credit transfer, one does not qualify for a first class degree.
Admission letters will be issued from the REGISTRY OFFICE